Monday, November 9, 2015

Dear family,

Well. I have some bad news. The Wi-Fi is broken at our church building so I'm sitting at McDonald's typing up this email...and NONE of my messages from y’all are loading!! In other words, this little guy will be the only thing y’all get from me this week. Lame, right? Don't hate me—I'm just as bummed as y’all are.

I have good news too, though!! This week was jammed packed with some of my favorite contacts of my whole mission! Erklär mal? Don't mind if I do.

On Tuesday, we went by on an old investigator hoping to catch her at home. On the way over, Sister Johnson tapped on a stranger’s car window (isn't she awesome?) and handed him a card. He turned off his car (was about to turn onto a busy street—ha-ha, oops) and talked with us for about five minutes. Probably one of the best-hearted people I've ever met. He said that he wants to believe in God, but he's just been through so much and sees such horrible things going on in the world and therefor finds it hard to. He vocalized his love for nature at one point, though, so we read alma 30:44 with him, which is Alma's response to Korihors "show me a sign and THEN I'll believe in God" comment:

“But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.”

The scripture must have really touched him, because he was pretty stoked when we told him he could keep the book. Not only did he agree to read it, but he agreed to meet with missionaries and learn more, too!! Sadly, he doesn't live in our area, but the he's in good hands. The missionaries serving in his city are great! I have high hopes for him!

One of my other favorite contacts of the week took place on Saturday night. We had just gotten done having a lesson with a family next door and had about five minutes before we were supposed to be in for the night, so we walked down the street towards a guy heading our way. We stopped him and asked if he was familiar with the church down the street, and he explained that he wasn't from Neuncamp and had just come to visit a (girl)friend. We asked him how it went and he was just kind of like "yeahhh, uhhh, not so great" (that's code for BREAKUP) so we were like "oh my goshhh no!!!" "We're so sorry!" "That really stinks" and so on and so forth. He was obviously upset, so we didn't push too hard for a conversation, just kinda gave him a card then gave him some space. As he was walking away, however, the spirit prompted us to talk with him more, so we ran inside our apartment, grabbed a Book of Mormon, an opened package of Oreos and literally CHASED this poor kid down the street (he's a fast walker, in case you were wondering). We were still pretty far behind him, so we just started shouting "ENTSHULDIGUNG" and flailing our limbs as to get his attention. Mission accomplished. He stopped, turned around and gave us a pretty confused look. We held out the package of Oreos and were like "THESE ARE FOR YOU. CHOCOLATE MAKES EVERYTHING BETTER!" He said thanks (that's code for y’all are freaks) and we all just kinda stood there awkwardly for a second, so we quickly busted out the handy dandy Book of Mormon and were like "this is for you, too! It's the word of God. Much better than Oreos!" He was actually really curious as to what exactly it was, so we explained it briefly and invited him to meet with and learn more. He said no... but he took the book! And he had some chocolate to mend his broken heart, so that's good too! (: They say there's no silver bullet to contacting...but I think that's it!! Chase people down and give them chocolate. I'll have to use that one more often.

We had some cool lessons this week, too. On Tuesday, we met with Ben! We've been teaching him for a little while now and have been trying to help him overcome his issues with baptism—he just hasn't been able to see why it's necessary! Can't someone just commit to follow God and that be that? We made him a pretty bold promise at the end of the lesson--told him that if he reads through the whole book of Mosiah with an open heart and asks God if baptism is the path he needs to take, he would receive a very clear answer.

Sister Johnson and I began a fast Saturday night with him in mind and stepped into a room with him yesterday after sacrament meeting to talk about his feelings...and good news! He received his answer! His heart was touched and he told us he felt like baptism definitely is the Lord’s will for each of his children. Bad news: he said now he wants to figure out which church it is that he should get baptized into!! Moral of the story? Be specific with your promises and even more specific with your fasts. The Lord will always keep His side of the deal...so make sure the terms are clear! Hahaha. No really though, I'm way excited for Ben! There's no doubt he's going to get baptized...just gotta be patient and wait until he's ready!

Given the current Wi-Fi disaster, I've got some extra time on my hands... so I'll just leave y’all with one more story—a journal entry from this past week!

November 5, 2015
In the most recent session of general conference, our prophet was struggling quite a bit. His voice and body were shaking, and his memory seemed to be failing him. A little girl at the conference drew a picture while he was speaking, which depicted him standing at the podium with angels on his left and his right. Today we went to the grave sight of schwester Link’s son. It was so special to see the work she put into making that place a beautiful resting spot for him. Her love was quite obvious, and her heartbreak was clear. She squatted down in front of it at one point, closed her eyes, bowed her head and prayed. In that moment, I remembered the promise made and D&C as well as the picture the little girl had drawn at general conference and said "Heavenly Father! I KNOW there are angels next to schwester Link right now. I wish I could see them!" And then, without missing a beat, the voice of the spirit spoke back to me and said "you're standing right next to her". I looked up at my companion standing on the right of schwester Link, then took note of my own position on her left and couldn't stop the tears. I'm so grateful for the Lord and the opportunities He gives such an imperfect, unprofitable servant like me to lift and bless others. He doesn't need me—His atonement can mask all the pains and sorrows the world has ever felt—but He allows me (and everyone!) to support and uplift others, anyway! I'm so grateful for Jesus Christ. I'm grateful for the angels he sends to support us in time of need. And I'm grateful for the privilege He gives me of being one of those angels every once in a while.

I love y’all lots!
I hope you have a great week (:
Sorry again that this email is all you're getting...I'm praying the
Wi-Fi will be fixed by next week!


-Sister Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment