Monday, September 7, 2015

Dear family,



On Friday, we went over to teach a lady who Sister Parker contacted on a split who definitely went down as one of the most prepared people I've ever met in my entire life. 

She's had an incredibly hard life. She was abused by her mother growing up--would go to school and work all the time with bruises up and down her arms and neck. One day, the abuse had gotten so bad that she decided to end her life. She was at work and decided to go down to the basement and hang herself. She had everything ready, went to stand on a crate...and her boss walked in. She said, "He NEVER went down there," but on this particular day, he did. And he saved her life. 

Her list of near death experiences, life tragedies, and deep sorrows go on and on and on. Talking with her, however, especially about all the hard times she's had, reminded me of that scripture in Alma 63 that talks about how the Nephites reacted to their trials and challenges. 

Vs 41 says: 
“But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war between the Nephites and the Lamanites many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility.” 

Frau Albruch truly did let her experiences humble her! She let them soften her and bring her closer to God as opposed to further away! She just kept saying "men have their agency! It's not God’s fault that they use it so poorly sometimes!" (2 Nephi 2:27, anyone?). She also kept repeating, "We're here to be happy! God sent us to the world to be happy!!" (Ummm, does vs 25 ring a bell?). She went on about all the different churches and how they've all got truth; we've just got to find the correct one. She asked us "which one IS true?! How am I supposed to know?! Everyone says something different!!"

Gold. SHE IS GOLD. 

You wanna hear another highlight of my week? I was on a split in köln (YES. KÖLN. AHHH IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL) and we went by on a 93 year-old lady named Schwester höhn...who helped translate a bunch of the songs from the English hymn book into German!!!! Sister Ferris told me that her favorite is Herr, Ich Will Folgen Dir...so I asked Schwester höhn if we could sing it with her and she responded with an enthusiastic YES. Ughh it was so cool!!! 

Now, however, for the highlight of all highlights.... 

NAOMI AND HOLY’S BAPTISM. 
It was AMAZINGGGG. 


It was a pretty stressful week (as the ones leading up to baptisms typically are)...but everything ended up working out perfectly. I think my favorite part of the day was after the service, actually. We went over to Naomi's after the baptism to finish filling out her record. Her kids opened the door...and there she was kneeling beside the couch praying! We just kinda hung out with her kids for a bit, and after a few minutes she got up, apologized and was like "we just got home and I just HAD to say a prayer!"

Is she perfect or WHAT?! 

I love this area! 
I love being a missionary! 

My heart is literally BREAKING thinking that Thursday marks my 6-months-left-in-Germany aka worst day of my life aka WHY CAN’T I DO THIS FOREVER?!? 

Hope y’all have a great week! 
Talk to you soon!! 

-Brookie


No comments:

Post a Comment