Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Letter Two!



My Dear Family,

Heavenly Father hears our prayers. Last p-day was incredibly rough for me. I was pretty much crying for like, four hours straight. Anyway, I said a prayer that went something along the lines of "Heavenly Father, I am SO homesick right now. I just really need to see someone from home. Whether that be my Rexburg home or my San Antonio home, I don't care. I just really need a friend." I said that prayer knowing the only people I knew from outside the MTC had left that day, mind you. I was sitting outside writing some letters with my companion a little while later when I heard someone shout "SISTER TERRY?!" I look up...and Sister Emmie Eyden is walking towards me with her luggage in hand.

"Ask and ye shall receive." -D&C 4:7

The end, right? Wrong. I was still feeling a little down. Sister Godwin and I just got done changing in the temple dressing room stalls for an endowment session when this sweet old lady stops us and says "Are you two sisters? Oh, I can just see it on your faces. We pray for you missionaries here every night, without fail. We are so grateful for you. The Lord is so grateful for you. We love you. He loves you. You are right where you are supposed to be."

I will be on your right hand and on your left...and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." - D&C 84:88 ... (to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised to find out one day that that lady was an actual angel.)

We are children of a loving Heavenly Father...and He's as personal as He is grand. He is aware of us. He hears our prayers. He answers our prayers. He sends angels to help us when we're sad. He cares. He really, truly cares.

The second verse of “Come, Come Ye Saints” has been my anthem these past couple weeks: "Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?  'Tis not so; All is right. Why should we think to earn a great reward if we now shun the fight? Gird up your loins. Fresh courage take. Our God will NEVER us forsake...and soon we'll have this tale to tell- All is well!!!! All is well!!

Listen to the Holy Ghost lesson #397- During personal study the other day, I read a scripture about the Holy Ghost and felt impressed to write it down in my lesson planning notebook. Galatians 5:22-23...talks all about what the Holy Ghost feels like. Anywho, in our lesson with Lukas later that day, Sister Godwin read D&C 9:8 (Which says that you'll feel a burning in your bosom that will confirm truth) and Lukas said "Well, I didn't feel a burning in my chest...I felt warm and good, though" ...to which I responded "I HAVE THE PERFECT SCRIPTURE FOR YOUUUUUUU". So we read it. And I was able to bear testimony of the fact that I knew it was, indeed, the spirit he was feeling and oh my heavens the spirit was so strong in that room and it was the greatest thing ever. THE HOLY GHOST IS THE BEST COMPANION. IN THE WORLD. EVER.

We have two new investigators! One is Ted...he's 101 years old and has never been religious. The other is Josef...a middle aged Jehovah's Witness. It's been a real challenge teaching them. Lukas (our first investigator) accepted everything we said (like for real, in the first lesson we told him we came to earth to grow...and wash ourselves. and he still agreed to be baptized). These two? Not so much. They have lots of questions and concerns and so it's been tough!!
My district has grown unbelievably close. Sister Montgomery and I have bonded. She's a good beat boxer and I’m basically Eminem in female form...so we rap. Together. And it is glorious. (No worries, it’s about missionary stuff. completely appropriate.) Elder Hansen and I are buddies now, too!! I have to ask him if we're friends or foes like 12 times a day, but that's okay. I'm pretty sure we're friends. Sister Johnson? Is my best friend. I love her. We have so much fun together and pray we get to be companions out in the field one day!!
Sad news: We sisters are not singing in conference :( Just the elders (in priesthood session). LAME, RIGHT?!

Anyway, I still have a bunch of other emails to write, but before I go, I just want to tell you about my current scripture hero- LEHI. Oh my goodness that man is UH-MAY-ZING. The night before I entered the MTC, I was sitting on Rosie's couch joking with her, Ross and Ben. I started to get teary eyed and thought "I can’t believe I’m leaving my family- the thing that makes me happiest above all else. This is so sad" and then immediately, another thought came to mind. "Why in the world are you sad for you?? You should be sad for the people who don’t have this! Not sharing it would be selfish. If family is THAT important to you, then share the message of the restored gospel, of the plan of salvation, of eternal families. Share it so that others can feel as much joy and happiness as you." ...and then I was reading in first Nephi. Lehi partook of the fruit of the tree of life and it "filled his soul with exceedingly great joy" and what did he do? He shared it. "After the Lord had shown so many great and marvelous things" unto Lehi...guess what he did? He shared those marvelous things with others.

This gospel brings me so much joy. It is so marvelous. It is SO important...and (just like Lehi), I can’t wait to share it (:

    I love y’all so much!! Keep the letters coming!!
    See ya in 18 (:

    Love, Sister Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment