Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Dear Family



On Saturday morning, we went to the baptism of a girl in one of the American military areas. The plan was to go home afterwards and have our weekly planning session...but the Lord had something else in mind. We had just about made it to our apartment when we passed by an Albanian woman Edison had introduced us to a few transfers ago. She had her two little sons with her. She spoke no German or English, but from the sound of her little boy's choking and wheezing, we understood that she needed to get to a hospital. We wrote down the bus number and the stop she needed to get off at, gave her a little pat on the shoulder and sent her on her way. 

Ridiculous, right? 
No worries, the Holy Ghost told us the same thing. 
We took about five steps forward, then felt promoted to stop, turn around, and give her some REAL help. 

Long story short, we ended up spending the whole day with her at the hospital, providing emotional support, helping the nurses, and talking with doctors. We left around 5 that evening. The little boy’s mom couldn't communicate with us at all, but before we left, she showered us with tears, kisses, hugs. She kept looking upward, sobbing things in albanian, then repeated the words "danke, danke, danke" over and over again. 


While preparing for my mission and during my first few rough months, I heard countless comments all along the lines of "I wish I could have the experiences you're going to have" or "I wish I had had the chance to serve as a missionary"...But as I've been out here, one thing has been made incredibly clear: missionary work is nothing more than a call to love and serve those around you...and a name tag does not a missionary make!!! 

I am so grateful for all the amazing experiences the lord has blessed me with over the last nine months...and I know that these same opportunities are available to everyone who sincerely desires them! 

Other exciting things that happened this week... 

I found out Aaron Thaxton is being trained in my zone!!! Ha-ha I told the zone leaders about him, and they came up to me on Saturday and said he's serving in the area!!! What are the odds!? I got permission to call him...he seems to be doing really well! Jet lag hasn't affected him too much...yet ha-ha. Zone training is next week, so I'll see him then. I'll be sure to get some pics and send them y’alls way! 

Zum Beispiel: We contacted a referral on Wednesday over in Dancenberg. The old man sitting outside wasn't interested in the church...but he was interested in us. Ha-ha the phrase "darling, I love you" literally came out of his mouth before the end of our conversation...that's when we knew it was time to go. Good times, good times. 

Well, that’s all for this week!! 
I love y’all lots!!! 
Talk to you later! 

- Brookie 


P.S. SHIRLEY IS GETTING BAPTIZED THIS WEEKEND—AHHHHHHHHH YAYYYYY. Send lots of prayers her way, please!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment